Tuesday 1 April 2014

Evaluation 1


Evaluation 1 : In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


I personally think I have been able to develop the conventions of a typical magazine very well with my product. however I have tried to use my brand and style to challenge some typical conventions. my double page spread shows my most usage of breaking regular form, this is because of the layout and design. as a style model I used the EDM Online magazine as this best fitted the genre and audience that I was trying to promote and attract.

 If we look at the title of an Issue of EDM online magazine we see that it is a simple name (alias) next to a logo, and some text.

I decided to keep as much of this design as possible whilst keeping my text and fun  appealing to read for my audience. A simple set of headphones next to a Logo, I have had to include the festival logo since it is subject matter, but I have tried to take up the bottom of the page completely to make it aware to people that it is the main feature. this is me sticking to usual conventions.

If we look at this in comparison to the full cover of EDM.
 you can see that I have followed the idea of keeping the main feature at fore front, whilst bringing all other features around. The title positioning will also help to keep the magazine in a very statutory and easy to read feel.


one way that I've tried to break usual conventions is by changing the style of my contents listing. that's whilst keeping some conforming features...

I have use the 'features' subtitle, but other than that, I found it more interesting to use coloured squares to highlight a different topic, and using a preview image of the poster.

I believe that placing the numbers on opposite sides will keep the reader attracted and interested.
On the double page spread  I have tried to break the conventions of a usual magazine by using a tilt design to present my info and interview, though this is largely based on my style model. I have tried to keep the ideas as original as possible.

 I have decided to use the convention of usual social media links (The bottom of the picture) I have also included the page number in the top corner.

Another convention that I have kept is to keep my main images and acts central, using lights and stage in the background, I feel this presents the feature a lot better.


In comparison with my style model I have tried to use a lot brighter colours since I think they best suit the Electronic Dance Music scene and the audience that I'm trying to attract.

No comments:

Post a Comment